For owners of high end luxury cars, the adage "money can't buy happiness" does not hold true. Often the most prized possession after the house (s), the thrill of driving or being driven in one just does not diminish over time. Even as the luxury car takes care of its passengers, it is imperative for its owner to take timely care of it.
Luxury cars have powerful engines and high end operation systems and they have to be taken care of accordingly. Like with all cars, replacing air filters and oil changes are regular maintenance routines. However, with luxury cars, there are a lot of other features that need to be checked regularly to keep the car functioning optimally, and also to avoid any minor problems that may arise. This will also raise the resale value of the car.
Here are a few tips that will help keep your high end luxury car in great shape even years after you purchase it.
- Follow the manufacturer's recommendations as they are designed to help your car run smoothly and efficiently.
- Stick to the maintenance schedule strictly even if there might be seemingly nothing wrong with the car and it is performing efficiently. Even the most basic services, are designed for the vehicle to performat its peak and any changes can result in early deterioration of an expensive part.
- Check the oil level regularly and change the oil and filters when required. If the oil indicator shows less than half its maximum capacity, it needs to be filled up to help sustain the vehicle's performance. This is the single most important step to maintaining your car as negligence will spoil the car engine. Also transmission fluid or gear oil should be used according to the recommended type and viscosity.
- The cooling system needs to be flushed and coolant changed once a year. A 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water is best for the cooling system and will prevent corrosion and deposits from building up inside.
- The kind of oil, brake fluid, and grease used is just as important as when it is changed. It is necessary of use manufacturer recommended quality products and use them on time.
- Try parking the vehicle in the shade, using a window deflector screen, and applying a UV protectant to prevent the plastic and vinyl parts from drying out. Paint, plastic, leather, and fabric need to be protected again the harshness of the sun and other elements.
In fact, parking in a garage, whenever possible, is recommended, as it helps to protect the vehicle from severe cold or heat, which could damage belts, hoses, batteries and other vehicle systems.
- It is important to get the car washed thoroughly and professionally if possible, every few weeks to get rid of the dust, debris and other materials that could spoil the veneer of the car paint.
- Leather seats and leather covered steering wheels should be cleaned regularly with leather appropriate products.
- It is necessary to use a good brush with stiff bristles and a quality carpet shampoo when cleaning the carpets.
- For plastic dashboards, a normal cleaning spray and cloth can be used for wiping the surfaces clean. But if the luxury car had wood surfaces or trim, a cutting polish and microfiber cloth should be used to keep it sparkling clean. Occasional detailing can further help in keeping the car in excellent condition.
- Old or flat batteries can be fatal for the health of the car. So it is important to keep a check on the terminals and also make sure the level of electrolyte remains full. If not, distilled water can be used to fill it up. Over 3 year old car batteries can be considered for changing.
- Keep a check on your windscreen wipers and replace them if required. Wipers wear out over time with the blades going dull, and sometimes also make squeaking noises. This could lead to scratches or other damage to your windscreen.
- Animals like dogs and cats love sitting or lying on the hood of cars or even on the roof. Even if it is your pet, make sure they do not climb on the car as their paws can seriously damage the paint of the car.
- While driving, it is advisable to avoid hard braking, as this wears downs the brake pads and rotors more quickly.
- It is important to slow down when driving over bumps to protect the suspension system.
- It is important to always drive with properly inflated tyres and also rotate them regularly according to the factory-recommended schedule to prevent the tread from wearing down quickly and unevenly. Replacing of tires is recommended as soon as its tread shrinks to 1.5mm or less.
Air pressure is another crucial factor to keep in mind. Hence, whenever refuelling the vehicle, a quick check of the air pressure in the tires will cover all the bases.
Following these simple tips can go a long way in keeping your luxury vehicle in top condition. Just remember that, replacing normal wear-and-tear parts such as timing belts before they break will keep the car in great shape while cleaning and protecting the finishes of the vehicle inside and out will keep things looking good.